Create Local Confluence Data Center Instance

I’m able to test my plugin on Confluence server but I need to test options within my plugin based on the data center environment. What do I need to update (pom.xml, commands, etc.) to create a data-center instance locally?

I want to be able to run “atlas-run” and run my plugin locally. Is this possible? If, not what other options do I have?

I’m not sure if there’s a way to do this with atlas-run. We ourselves are using docker and at startup are simply generating a DC evaluation license instead of a Server one.

Also, @clouless has created an awesome docker image specifically for this which you can use: https://github.com/codeclou/docker-atlassian-confluence-data-center (probably the easier way as you need a proper DB for Data Center)

Cheers,
Sven

the docker images can be a start, but Collaborative Editing might not work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, unfortunately I would be testing Collaborative editing. At least different options based on if they are on server or Data Center. Just wanted to test my plugin for the Data Center case, but it seems it may be more difficult than I thought.

I assume (!) that it depends on the trial license key whether the instance is in data center mode or not.

I start atlas-debug with a PostgresSQL database (started prior to Confluence). In this case I need to manually configure the installation (license, key, database, …) via the UI (I haven’t found out how to configure this in the POM). In this process I enter the test license.

If I enter the test license when started with the H2 database (the default database), I get the following error message: "

You’re using the embedded H2 database, which isn’t supported as a production database. You’ll need to migrate to a supported database before you can set up Data Center."

I have only one node configured, but the administration screen for clustering is present.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

FYI: Data Center Timebomb licenses can be found here:

Data Center Timbomb Licenses

But when you start the marketplace datacenter registration you will get a special license which can be used with a really huge test instance with a few 1000 users.

Best regards, Anton

1 Like

DC is just another license on installation. Use evaluations licenses as they are valid for a month at least

For local testing:

• Use Docker (the official image just works fine)
    • It is also “quite” easy to set up a local cluster with docker. Just share the database and shared home with all nodes.
    • Here is my Docker “configuration” for DC, you might adapt the volume pathes
  • (Windows) I prefer WSL to Docker, it is much faster to create/clone images, but unsure if it possible to create a local cluster with it
  • You may also just use Hyper-V, we ended setting up our local cluster using Hyper-V, as it worked best (with shared home as SAMBA share and database as a Docker container on a QNAP)

Thanks for the response. Are you able to test features like collaborative editing?

Never tried it, but generally should work as well (this should be the exposed port 8091 in the docker compose files)

DC is working (== nodes can “talk” to each other), so I expect Synchrony to work as well. But still might need some additional configuration.

Thanks!